Wednesday, September 26, 2007

In the land of plenty



It's interesting to me that Meredith of Like Merchant Ships blog today was about knowing when you have enough and not overbuying at the thrift store.
Before I picked up the computer I had just had a phone conversation with my Mom about what I needed for my birthday. I thought for two seconds and said, "Mom, I don't need anything and if I want something I can find it cheap or free." I told her that what I needed was someone who knew how to sew (I am not gifted in that area) and that her making my daughter a witch costume for Halloween was more than enough.

I have had a lot of time this morning to think about not buying stuff just because it's a good deal. I stopped by the grocery store to pick up my prescription and some fruit. This is the same grocery store that frequently has carts of reduced for quick sale goods. I go weak at the words "reduced for quick sale". So, I spent fifteen minutes pawing through the four carts of sale stuff. I put many things back. Useful things.... for someone besides myself. I -did- get some Bob's Red Mill Almond flour (.99), a tube of diaper rash cream (.99), some sunscreen w/ attached lip balm (.99), a pocket folio (.05) and a deck of kids playing cards (.50). I have a use for each of these items so I could justify the purchase. We're going to the beach so I need the sunscreen and the playing cards will be a nice treat for big girl and her cousins. I need the folder to put my Flylady Holiday Planning Guide in. Since I'm doing more scratch cooking I know I'll love the almond flour to make cakes and cookies. The diaper rash cream is going in the baby gift for my husbands co-worker.

On the way home we stopped at two garage sales in our neighborhood. I loved some of the doilies and hand embroidered table cloths. But, not for me. At the first one I picked up a ziplock bag of Bob Builder toys (2.00) for the little guy and a new in the box mini leather picture frame (.25). The second one only yielded a toy knight (.10) for big girls Christmas stocking and a cute little mouse ornament (.10).
This last garage sale had a pile of clothes that were a size or two bigger than my daughter is now. It looked so tempting and the prices were good. But, I held firm and passed it by remembering the piles and piles of clothing her closet is holding now for 'someday'. Why? Because we have 'enough.'

No comments:

Google