Thursday, August 16, 2007

What's for dinner: Cuban Beans and rice with Cuban Bread

I love beans which is good because they are cheap and I eat a mostly vegetarian diet.


Right now I'm simmering a pot of black beans that I soaked overnight and my rice cooker is cooking four cups of brown rice for me.

I've got two loaves of Cuban bread cooking right now. If you are interested in how to make your own Cuban bread the recipe is on #542 of The Complete Tightwad Gazette.


I looked online for a recipe for Cuban beans and rice but I didn't seem to like many of the ingredients, like pimiento and vinegar.

Here's what I'm going to do: Heat some olive oil in a pan, saute half a red onion (all that I have on hand), throw in a tablespoon or two of chopped garlic, add half of a diced purple pepper, throw in half of my beans and season with cumin, salt, a dash of chili powder, some cracked black pepper, and a sprinkle of lime juice.

I'm topping the beans and rice with a few slices of queso fresco.

The rest of my cooked beans will be frozen in meal sized portions and place on the shelf of my freezer labeled 'ingredients'.

Maybe this will get my hubby home earlier tonight. ; )

No comments:

Google